Springville fire has burned 60 acres, is 10% contained, suspect in custody
SPRINGVILLE, Utah –On Tuesday morning Springville officials reported that the Springville fire that began Monday afternoon had burned 60 acres and was 10% contained.
The fire began Monday in the area of 1400 North Main Street, and was pushed uphill by wind.
Utah Fire Info reported via Facebook that firefighters would likely hike into the fire on Tuesday. That work is expected to drastically increase containment in the Springville fire.
The monsoonal rain that passed over Springville on Monday night was a great help to the aviation resources that first attacked the scene, fire officials said.
On Tuesday morning, the Bonneville Shoreline Trail remained temporarily closed between Buckley Draw and Little Rock Creek.
Authorities said no structures are currently threatened by the blaze.
In addition to the Springville Fire Department, crews from Provo, Mapleton, and the Utah County Fire were on the scene of the fire. Two helicopters and an air tanker provided assistance from the air.
According to the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, an arrest has been made in connection to the start of this fire.
Suspect arrested in fire east of Springville. He told law enforcement he was using a lighter to burn a spider. After he was arrested @UCSO Deputies found drugs and paraphernalia in his backpack. He is being booked into jail. (I may be out of connection for a period of time.)
— Spencer Cannon (@SGTCannonPIO) August 2, 2022
- Crews continue to fight Halfway Hill Fire, as new fire ignites in Utah County
- Where things stand on wildfires burning in Utah
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 1,500 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- SLCPD makes arrest connected to fatal stabbing case
- Winter blues: light therapy and lifestyle changes can help
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan