Staffing at Utah hospitals is in a more stable place than a year ago
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Hospital Association says hospitals around the state are in a more stable position staffing wise than they were last year. However, hospitals still aren’t back to pre-pandemic staffing levels.
Paul Jackson, a workforce consultant for the Utah Hospital Association, said during the surge of the pandemic, hospitals had to allocate employees and resources to help with COVID-related cases.
“People who needed other procedures were set to the side,” Jackson said. “But now, yes, we still have some COVID patients. But we are able to take care of all the other needs that come into the hospital.”
Jackson said Utah hospitals still have a higher staff turnover than before the pandemic.
“During COVID, turnover in healthcare did increase by about 5 percent,” he said. “Since COVID, it has gone down about 3 percent.”
And Jackson said Utah is in a better spot than other states.
“We receive phone calls from other states as to how we are able to do what we do,” he said. “We have great relationships with our academic partners.”
He also says Utah is in a better position than other states because hospitals are on top of the seasonal illnesses that effect patients.
Mark Jones contributed to this article.
- Primary Children’s Hospital ranked as one of nation’s best children’s hospitals
- Hospitals in need of crutches/canes across Utah, donations needed
- More COVID-19 vaccines ordered in Utah for children as young as 6 months
- Doctors urge Utahns to follow COVID-19 mandates, saying hospitals are at ‘tipping point’ of being overwhelmed
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued