Police arrest suspect in West Valley hit-and-run that killed 11-year-old boy
Steven Rollins, 45, is under arrest on suspicion of failing to remain on the scene of a fatal accident.
On Thursday afternoon, the WVCPD said investigators determined a silver Toyota Tacoma was the car involved in the hit and run.
Investigators spoke to neighbors near the area the car was last seen before the accident and gave them a description of the suspect’s truck.
Before midnight on Thursday, one of the neighbors told police a truck matching the description of the suspect’s vehicle was parked nearby.
Probable cause documents said that the front of the truck’s bumper was missing parts consistent with parts found at the scene of the hit and run.
The driver of the truck was tracked to a home near 4000 West 3700 South in West Valley City.
Police said they made contact with 45-year-old Steven Rollins, who was in a trailer a few houses away from where the truck was parked.
According to the probable cause statement, another person in the trailer asked police when they arrived if they were there to arrest Rollins, “acknowledging that he had killed a child while driving.”
The statement also said that person in the trailer had tried to get Rollins to turn himself in.
NEWS RELEASE: suspect arrested in hit and run that killed 11yo boy. pic.twitter.com/OSmnJwE9B3
— WVC Police (@WVCPD) August 12, 2022
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Off-duty officer with Salt Lake City Police arrested