CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
American Fork Police take Walmart shooting suspect into custody
Aug 12, 2022, 7:30 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:28 am
(American Fork Police Department)
AMERICAN FORK, Utah — American Fork Police announced Friday that the suspect in a shooting at a Walmart parking lot that led to an eventual Amber Alert earlier this week was taken into custody.
Police say 29-year-old Danny Sihalath was located by authorities and taken into custody. He was treated at an area hospital for an injury he suffered during the Walmart incident.
Police say Sihalath has been released from the hospital. He has now been booked into the Utah County Jail on suspicion of retail theft, which is a third-degree felony. He was also booked on suspicion of aggravated assault, also a third-degree felony. Additionally, he was also booked on suspicion on the following charges: failure to stop at the command of an officer, three counts of reckless endangerment, and evading.
On Tuesday night, police say they responded to Walmart on a shoplifting call. Despite being told to stop several times by police, Sihalath fled the scene. A 5-year-old child was in the suspect’s car, prompting authorities to issue the Amber Alert.
The child, however, was later found in a Salt Lake City home and the alert was canceled.
- American Fork police being sued by man claiming he was beaten by officers while obeying orders
- 1-year-old kidnapped from American Fork home has been rescued, police say
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- KSL’s Doug Wright to host final movie show program, continues with long-time host Andy…
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- The streaming shift from BYUtv to ESPN
- SLCPD: One person in custody following fatal stabbing
- Davis schools remove Bible from certain school shelves
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Adult filmmakers ask judge to delay Utah law requiring user age verification
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation