Idaho inmate arrested in Tooele for failing to reappear after court-ordered release
TOOELE, Utah — An Idaho inmate was arrested in Tooele on Sunday night because he failed to return to a local jail after being granted a temporary release.
Authorities said the Idaho inmate, Justin Wayne Gould was initially being held in the Bonneville County Jail in Idaho Falls on pending charges of attempted strangulation, witness intimidation and multiple violations of a no-contact order.
Gould was granted a temporary release for part of the day Friday, August 19 by a local judge, but, local authorities said he did not return to the jail by the 1 p.m. deadline.
“After [Gould] failed to return to the jail, our deputies at the jail began notifying our area law enforcement,” said Sgt. Bryan Lovell with the Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office.
“Ultimately we had tips from the public … and some interviews with associates of Mr. Gould lead us to Tooele.”
The Idaho inmate was taken into custody by Tooele police Sunday night on a felony warrant for escape.
Lovell said deputies in Idaho are now investigating what Gould was doing since Friday, and if there are any more charges to come.
“[Deputies] are trying to put some more pieces together,” Lovell said, adding that he did not believe the release involved any travel to Utah. “[These releases] are something that happens from time to time for a variety of reasons…typically it’s more localized,” Lovell said.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Man in custody after hours of negotiation in Orem home
- Chance of thunderstorms Thursday could affect BYU game
- Hurricane Ian weakens to Category 3 after making landfall in Florida, but officials warn the…
- Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test
- American Leadership Academy responds to homecoming incident
- Former KSL NewsRadio talk show host in the path of Hurricane Ian
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Federal, state authorities warn of return of missed jury duty, outstanding warrant scam
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties