Boat ramp at Great Salt Lake State Park closed due to low water levels
SALT LAKE CITY — The Great Salt Lake State Park has closed its boat launch ramp due to low water levels.
Devon Chavez, with the Utah Division of State Parks, says visitors to the lake can still launch their boats but will do so at their own risk.
“We closed these due to low water levels to protect visitors’ property,” he said. “We don’t want anyone to get stuck, or high-centered or perhaps even damage their boat.”
While park officials don’t recommend launching boats at the marina, Chavez says the marina won’t be barricaded and no citations will be issued.
The Great Salt Lake Marina boat ramp closure is just part of an ongoing problem around the state. Of the 42 boat ramps at state parks throughout the state, 12 have closed due to low water levels.
“Low water levels have caused boat ramp closures across the state,” Chavez said. “And now we are starting to see it happen at parks and launch ramps that traditionally haven’t ever seen it before. And in this case, the Great Salt Lake State Park Marina boat ramp has closed as well.”
Chavez recommends launching smaller watercrafts such as kayaks and paddle boards.
“The great things about those is they are so small and maneuverable,” he said.
Chavez says if visitors to the park try and launch a boat from the marina, they may be facing some difficulties.
“If you do try and launch your sailboat or a larger craft out of those marinas,” he said. “There is the possibility that you might not be able to get it in there in the first place. And then get it back out without the aid of a tow truck or another company.”
Mark Jones contributed to this article.
- Low water levels at Bear Lake could force boat ramp closures
- Lake Powell is sitting low; this group is trying to raise the water levels
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Off-duty officer with Salt Lake City Police arrested