Former mayor, Latter-Day Saints bishop accused of child sex abuse
SALT LAKE CITY — Davis County Sheriff detectives arrested the former mayor of West Bountiful, also a former bishop for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, on accusations of child sex abuse.
Carl Matthew Johnson, 77, of Orem, Utah, stands accused of seven counts of aggravated sex abuse, according to a probable cause affidavit.
The affidavit also alleges the sexual abuse of three girls ranging from ages two to 12, between 1985 and 1996. Johnson vacated his position as mayor of West Bountiful in 1997.
Police arrest records show Johnson admitted to the abuse to investigators.
All victims allege he was in a position of trust over them at the time; they told police they were instructed not to tell anyone, according to the affidavit. Investigators worry about the potential for more victims.
“He’s lived in a couple of different places along the Wasatch Front, he has held positions of trust, so that would maybe widen his pool of potential victims,” said Capt. Taylor West with the Davis County Sheriff’s Office.
The Davis County Sheriff’s Office is asking any additional victims to come forward as they continue to investigate additional cases.
“We just want victims to feel comfortable to know that if they come forward, we’re going to listen to them. We’re going to hear what they have to say. And we’re going to pursue justice for those victims,” West said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Name change coming to Intermountain Healthcare next year
- Ian makes landfall in southwest Florida as Category 4 storm
- The plan to build an inland port/commerce hub is on hold
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- Hurricane Ian knocked out power to all of Cuba, Florida officials urge evacuations
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- New poll suggests voters don’t wan’t to see Biden or Trump on the ballot
- US Embassy warns Americans to leave Russia