Two studies sum up Utah’s professional athletic abilities
SALT LAKE CITY — Sports seasons are coming into full effect across the United States. And to celebrate, a few studies have been released comparing the professional athletes that come from each state in the country.
Utahns in the NFL
With week one of the NFL season coming to a close, BeenVerified decided to do some football-specific research. Since 1920, Utah ranked 25th for most NFL players per 100,000 population, with nearly 11 NFL players per 100,000 people in the state.
Utah also came in at number 23 in the “top hometown states for NFL players” category, 22nd on a list of best high schools for future NFL players, and 34th in the number of high schools that produce NFL talent.
Salt Lake City has produced 55 NFL players since 1920. The next best cities were Ogden and Provo with 15 and 13 respectively. The best high schools in the state for producing NFL players are Logan, Highland, and Bingham — all with 9 NFL players.
Just how athletic is Utah?
Since Utah sits right around the middle of the pack for producing NFL players, can some redemption be found in other professional sports? The short answer is no.
A study from Offers.Bet analyzed American states to find which one produces the most professional athletes. The study takes into account each state’s population, so states with more people don’t automatically take the crown.
Despite this, Utah came in at 42nd for most professional athletes. Only 9 professional athletes call Utah their home state.
Utah is better off than some of its neighbors, however. Idaho, Montana, and New Mexico are all in the bottom five.
- Suspensions ensue after a little league football game
- How are high schools protecting football players in the heat?
Today’s Top Stories
- Wildlife officials, troopers, maneuver large herd of elk away from I-80
- Suspects in custody, lockdown lifted after shots fired at Taylorsville High
- Pedestrian hit and killed by UTA Frontrunner
- Large sinkhole shuts down portion of westbound 1500 North in Lehi
- Investigation of fatal accident at Provo airport includes witness statements
- Teachers at West High School walkout in of protest H.B. 215
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street
- Cottonwood Connect offers a new way to get up Cottonwood Canyons
- UHP: Semi rollover in Juab County has claimed at least one life
- Spanish Fork teacher is year’s first Jazz “Most Valuable Educator”