Westminster College to change name to Westminster University in 2023
SALT LAKE CITY — Westminster College will be changing its name to Westminster University, beginning in the fall of 2023.
The move was unanimously approved by Westminster’s Board of Trustees last week.
During Westminster’s 150-year history, it has had several different names as its academic offerings changed.
In 1875, the school was established as Salt Lake Collegiate Institute. Westminster became a four-year liberal arts college in 1949.
In 1988, the first graduate programs of Westminster began. The first doctoral degree program, Doctor of Nursing Practice, started in 2019 according to a news release.
“Becoming Westminster University honors our past while showcasing our strengths and trajectory as a small, comprehensive institution, one that offers students boundless opportunities with a network of support,” said Dr. Bethami A. Dobkin, president of Westminster College in a news release.
“We will always be a place where students forge close connections with some of the best faculty in the country, and where a liberal arts foundation encourages thinking broadly, critically, collaboratively, and in ways that solve complex problems, building leadership and career confidence.”
Currently, the school offers more than 50 undergraduate programs. Additionally, Westminster also offers 11 graduate programs and two doctoral degrees. Westminster will also be offering additional doctoral studies in the near future, according to the news release.
- Westminster College gathering social media attention for offering pornography class
- Westminster College to require vaccine for students, employees
Today’s Top Stories
- Hurricane Ian weakens to Category 3 after making landfall in Florida, but officials warn the…
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties
- UTA makes service reductions following staffing shortages
- Former KSL NewsRadio talk show host in the path of Hurricane Ian
- Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Hurricane days were like snow days
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis