Grant worth $1.46 million awarded to Salt Lake County’s childcare centers
SALT LAKE CITY — A grant worth $1.46 million has been awarded to Salt Lake County’s childcare and early head start centers.
The grant comes from the Utah Department of Workforce Services Office of Childcare. And it is part of the American Rescue Plan Act.
According to a news release, the funds will pay each center a set amount monthly through September 2023.
The money will allow each center to purchase supplies and equipment that will allow for a safe and productive learning environment.
Salt Lake County’s childcare centers
“We need to make it easier for parents and caregivers to both work and afford childcare,” said Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson in a news release. “Our children are the next generation. If we want them to grow up to be bold and ambitious adults, their parents need to at least have the option of affordable childcare. Without affordable childcare, children, parents, and society as a whole will suffer.”
Currently, there are four licensed childcare centers, and three early head start locations in Salt Lake County.
According to the news release, roughly 4,000 children are served yearly by these centers.
“Our childcare centers are located throughout the county, with several centers strategically located in underserved areas,” said Julie Peck-Dabling, recreation section manager for Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation in a news release. “Like many of the programs offered by Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation, we try to keep our rates low enough that parents can afford this crucial service for their children while also balancing other expense.”
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Woods Cross man arrested for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- UHP: Three people dead in two-vehicle crash in Kane County
- Bus driver to be honored for saving woman from dog attack
- Fire breaks out at Orem home
- False threat near the TRAX Daybreak Parkway Station
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Teens charged as adults in West Valley shooting death
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation