Summit County Sheriff nominated for post of District of Utah U.S. Marshal
SALT LAKE CITY — President Biden has nominated Summit County Sheriff Justin Martinez to the post of the District of Utah U.S. Marshal.
In a press release, the President’s office said Mr. Biden chose Martinez and other nominees for “their devotion to enforcing the law, their professionalism, their experience and credentials, their dedication to pursuing equal justice for all, and their commitment to the independence of the Department of Justice.”
The President of the United States appoints a United States Marshal. The U.S. Senate confirms them. The current District of Utah U.S. Marshal is Matt Harris who was appointed by President Donald Trump.
Martinez has been the Summit County Sheriff since 2015 and was a captain in the Summit County Sheriff’s Office for 10 years prior to becoming the sheriff.
During his career, Martinez served in law enforcement capacities for Draper, the Utah Transit Authority, Salt Lake County, and Sandy.
Martinez is also a veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard.
On Friday, Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) tweeted his response to the nomination.
After the Parleys Canyon Fire last year, I met with @SummitCountyUT Sheriff Martinez and was impressed with the well-executed response he coordinated. The Administration has made a great choice in nominating Justin—a @USCG veteran—for U.S. Marshal for Utah.https://t.co/RuKVlbcGEg
— Senator Mitt Romney (@SenatorRomney) October 14, 2022
In a statement sent to the media, Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) said he was pleased with the nomination.
“Justin Martinez is a proven leader and will serve us well as the U.S. Marshal for Utah. I trust that he will execute his duties with the same proficiency and professionalism he demonstrated during his 26 years of law enforcement service for Summit County and the State of Utah.”
- Romney will vote to support Jackson’s Supreme Court nomination
- Sen. Mike Lee will vote against Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, SCOTUS nominee
Today’s Top Stories
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- BYU students win international award for video game
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success