All-abilities playground gets grand opening in Draper
DRAPER, Utah — A new all-abilities playground in Draper will have its grand opening Tuesday night. The city said over 90% of the playground is accessible to children with mobility devices.
The all-abilities playground is located at Draper City Park at 12500 South 1300 East.
Draper City‘s grand opening of the playground begins at 5 p.m. and will feature face painting, a corn dog truck and a ribbon cutting.
“The new Draper City all-abilities playground goes way beyond basic ADA standards and provides play opportunities for children with different mobility, emotional, neurological, and intellectual needs,” said playground contractor Taft Eagan of Big T Recreation.
What does the new all-abilities playground have?
The playground features multiple kinds of play areas. Features include a merry-go-round and a large slide meant for multiple children or children with a caregiver to use.
The playground also has multiple sensory-focused play areas on the ground level and on a raised platform. The city built the raised platform with a ramp for accessibility.
Draper City said that some features were built to encourage children to play together, like the glider and tunnel play areas.
Today’s Top Stories
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- A 4-day workweek is working for Provo government
- Trump Organization convicted in executive tax dodge scheme
- Suspected criminals on Zillow listing Utah homes for sale without homeowners’ knowledge
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Colorado gay club shooting suspect charged with hate crimes
- Georgia voters once again have the last word during election season