CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Rooftop burglary suspect in Ballpark neighborhood arrested by police
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police announced Thursday morning the arrest of a 62-year-old man who they say is accused of allegedly burglarizing a business in the Ballpark neighborhood. They say his intent was to steal copper wire.
Just after 6 a.m. Thursday, an off-duty officer with the Unified Police Department noticed a ladder against a business at 1500 S. Main Street. According to a news release, the officer had heard previously about the business being the focus of criminals.
After alerting dispatch of the situation, the off-duty officer noticed the suspect, Theodore Maciel, on the roof.
With the help of a ladder truck from the Salt Lake City Fire Department, police were able to safely take Maciel into custody.
Based on their initial investigation, police say Maciel allegedly caused several thousand dollars worth of damage. They say the damage was done as he was allegedly trying to gain access to the building to steal copper wire.
Police say Maciel has been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of burglary, theft and criminal mischief. Additionally, the suspect was booked for investigation of possession of burglary tools.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Online marriage licensing gets the attention all over the world