North entrance into Yellowstone National Park to open next week
GARDINER, Mont. — The north entrance to Yellowstone National Park will open to regular visitors on Tuesday, Nov. 1 at 8 a.m.
According to a news release from the park, the road between the north entrance and Mammoth Hot Springs (Old Gardiner Road) will also open to visitor traffic on Tuesday.
Things to know about the north entrance
However, those individuals traveling this part of the park need to keep the following items in mind.
- It is the responsibility of everyone who uses the road to avoid accidents.
- There are sharp curves and steep inclines within the park, and the speed limit ranges between 15 and 25 mph.
- There are no restrictions (weight or length) on the road. Those motorists in oversized vehicles or vehicles with trailers must exercise caution in curves to stay in the lane.
- Despite the opening to the entrance, the road will remain under construction.
- As such, motorists must be alert for construction crews and equipment.
- During the upcoming winter season, the road may close temporarily (30 minutes) for plowing.
- Efforts to clean up the area from the flooding will extend well beyond Nov. 1.
According to the news release, over the past four months, construction crews have made significant improvements to Old Gardiner Road. Those improvements include:
- Turning a single-lane dirt road into two lanes.
- The entire four-mile road has been paved and stripped.
- More than 5,000 feet of guardrail have been installed.
- Expanding the widths of the road, and adding new pullouts.
- A new quarter-mile approach road into Mammoth is being built to avoid a steep grade of up to 15% on the original road.
According to the news release, the project has been funded by the Federal Highway Administration.
For up-to-date road conditions at Yellowstone National Park, click here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- BYU students win international award for video game
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success