CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Alleged shooter in road rage incident facing multiple charges
KAYSVILLE, Utah — The suspect who allegedly shot multiple rounds from a pellet gun at another car on I-15 in Kaysville Monday, has been booked on multiple charges.
According to new charging documents, Travis Leroy Peterson, 51, was arrested on two counts of aggravated assault and one count of criminal mischief, all third-degree felonies.
Peterson was also booked on one count of use or possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor, and one count of cardholder smoking cannabis, an infraction.
Documents state Peterson tailgated another vehicle before shooting, “at least four shots from his driver’s side window.”
The victim, Shailee Brimhall, told KSL-TV she was trying to pass a slow-driving SUV, a did so when the double lines of the HOV lane broke. She thinks that could’ve set the suspect off.
The shots made contact with the victim’s windshield, as well as the passenger-side windows and doors causing an estimated $2,000 in damages.
Police later conducted a high-risk traffic stop at the Maverick on Parrish Lane in Centerville. Authorities searched Peterson’s vehicle and found a, “black and brown pellet handgun,” the affidavit states.
Police said they also found multiple containers of marijuana, as well as a grinder and glass pipe. Peterson has a valid medical marijuana card according to the documents.
Related: Road rage incident leads to one dead in shooting
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Provo Canyon closing intermittently to mitigate rock slides
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- A third person has died after a multi-car crash in Box Elder
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah