The Beehive State reacts to Colorado LGBTQ+ nightclub shooting
Dave and Dujanovic will take you live to find out the latest on the police investigation into the gunman who was stopped cold inside by patrons but not before killing 5 and hurting 25. Listen live at 9:20 a.m.
SALT LAKE CITY — Late in the evening of Saturday, Nov. 19, 22-year-old Anderson Lee Aldrich opened fire at an LGBTQ+ nightclub in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Aldrich killed at least five people and injured 18 others before being disarmed by patrons in the club. The Colorado Springs Police Department now has Aldrich in custody, according to Lt. Pamela Castro.
The shooting took place the day before Transgender Day of Remembrance, which is held annually on Nov. 20.
Utah’s response to Colorado shooting
Various Utah leaders and organizations have released statements on the incident, sharing their condolences and support for the LGBTQ+ community.
Utah Gov. Spencer Cox released a statement via Twitter Sunday afternoon.
Abby and I are deeply saddened by the senseless tragedy in our neighboring Colorado. We add our prayers for those impacted and plead for kindness, love and unity with our LGBTQ community. https://t.co/Y8dcW3GUpm
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) November 20, 2022
Along with this, Utah LGBTQ+ non-profit Encircle said on Facebook that it is “shocked, saddened, and truly heartbroken,” due to the shooting.
Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall took to twitter to express her devastation.
Devastated, just devastated to read about another horrific act of violence targeted at the LGBTQ community. Salt Lake City mourns with our friends in Colorado Springs, and stands with the LGBTQ community everyday. #TDOR
— Mayor Erin Mendenhall (@slcmayor) November 20, 2022
Today’s Top Stories
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- BYU students win international award for video game
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event