Two new cases of avian influenza announced Wednesday
TAYLORSVILLE, Utah — The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food announced Wednesday two new cases of avian influenza.
The new confirmed cases came from a flock of chickens in Utah County, and a group of gamebirds in Iron County.
Along with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the UDAF has contained the diseases in these two groups of birds.
New cases of avian influenza
According to the UDAF, all birds affected have been depopulated. The department will continue to monitor areas around the impacted birds to help minimize any further spread of the disease.
The UDAF is asking all domestic bird owners to strengthen their biosecurity measures. The UDAF says if at all possible domestic birds should be kept locked inside a structure. Furthermore, kept away from any migratory birds to help prevent the illness from spreading.
Also, domestic birds should not share food or water resources with any migratory birds, according to the UDAF.
Signs of avian influenza in birds are nasal discharge, a loss of appetite or water consumption. A loss of coordination and a high death loss are additional signs of the disease.
If you are aware of birds that are experiencing any of these symptoms, the state veterinarian must be notified immediately at email@example.com.
Avian influenza does not present a health concern to humans, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease and Control. One case of the disease has been reported in the United States.
For additional information and assistance on how to keep animals healthy, click here.
- Six more cases of avian influenza confirmed in Sanpete County
- Officials warn of additional cases of avian influenza
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- More than 3,400 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…