18-year-old connected to Orem shooting turns himself in
OREM, Utah — An 18-year-old man is in custody after turning himself in on Wednesday in connection with an Orem shooting in November.
Police suspect the man of attempted murder and obstruction of justice after the Orem shooting that injured two men at the Axis Apartments. These apartments, at 800 South and 1370 West provide off-campus student housing to UVU students.
In a probable cause statement, police said the suspect, Jozef Richard Van-Der-Meide, turned himself in with the help of his attorney.
The shooting happened on Nov. 19, following an argument. A witness told KSL TV that a party was going on in the upper levels of the apartment that night. The group later moved to an apartment on the third floor, and that’s when shots were heard.
Police responded to reports of shots fired and found one man with a gunshot wound to his stomach. Officials found another injured man at the scene. However, his cell phone reportedly took the brunt of the impact from the bullet.
According to the probable cause statement, witness statements and apartment building security cameras helped police identify Van-Der-Meide as the suspect in the shooting.
Van-Der-Meide buried the gun used in the shooting, police said. According to the probable cause statement, police found the gun buried about 100 yards away from a train track intersection.
Van-Der-Meide is being held without bail due to the 10-day gap between the shooting and his surrender.
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- More than 3,400 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…