THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH
University of Utah to add 5,000 new on-campus housing units by 2030
Jan 12, 2023, 5:00 PM
(Laura Seitz/Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah is looking to breathe new life into its 170-year-old campus. The school is teaming up with a private company to double on-campus housing.
Since the U is largely a commuter school, on-campus housing faltered as students chose to live at home or off campus.
The school projects that undergrad enrollment will grow to 40,000 over the next seven years. The U added new housing recently in 2020, adding just under 1,000 beds to their Kahlert Village. The school plans to add 430 more this coming fall.
But, the U would need to add 10,000 units to allow one in four students to live on campus.
The private-pubic partnership or ‘P3’ will work together to design, build, finance and maintain the new housing needed to keep up with the school’s growth.
The university will pick P3 consultants by the end of February of this year. The first round of construction should begin in 2024 and be finished by 2026.
This will be an expensive endeavor so they are requesting bonding authority from Utah lawmakers to help with 2000 of the units at a cost of up to $384 million.
Related: College enrollment numbers dropping nationally, Utah’s solutions
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Suspect killed, Ogden police officer stable after officer-involved shooting
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Boats returning to the Great Salt Lake Marina
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Text messages reveal Utah lawmakers pressured UTA to pull Pride-wrapped bus out of parade
- Boppy Newborn Lounger pillow blamed in more infant deaths