RACE, RELIGION + SOCIAL JUSTICE
San Juan Puerto Rico Temple dedicated last Sunday
Jan 18, 2023, 9:30 PM
SALT LAKE CITY — The San Juan Puerto Rico Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was dedicated Sunday; the church announced this week.
Elder D. Todd Christofferson, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles presided at the event, which was held in three sessions. Several other church leaders were also in attendance at the ceremony.
During the ceremony, Elder Christofferson spoke to thousands of church members who witnessed the dedication by video transmission at five meeting houses in the area.
“By entering the temple, we leave the world temporarily,” Elder Christofferson said during the ceremony. “We leave our problems and challenges at the door and focus our minds on the things of God, on the ordinances and covenants of salvation and exaltation. We refocus our thoughts and desires with a divine perspective.”
The San Juan Puerto Rico Temple was first announced in October 2018 by President Russell M. Nelson.
An open house for the temple was held Dec. 1 to Dec. 17.
In a news release, the church announced the temple officially opened on Wednesday.
- Church announces sites for three previously announced temples
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces the construction of 18 new temples
- A look back on President Nelson’s five years as Church president
- Church reacts to Biden signing Respect for Marriage Act into law
Bonneville International Corporation, the company that owns KSL NewsRadio, is a subsidiary of Deseret Management Corporation, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Winners announced of SLC Ballpark Next Design competition
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart