UPDATE: Victims of Cache County house explosion identified
CACHE COUNTY, Utah — One person has died and two people remain in critical condition after a house explosion in Cache County.
Cache County Sheriff’s Office identified the victims of the explosion in a press release on Friday.
The residents of the house were the Mullin family, John Mullin and his wife Caryn Mullin. Joshua Mullin was also listed as a resident of the home, but officials did not say what his relation to the family was.
John Mullins died in the explosion while Caryn and Joshua were hospitalized.
The press release also detailed the fact that the Mullin family were professional dog breeders. The sheriff’s office said the family had 30 dogs on their property, but only 16 of them were inside the home.
Five dogs were rescued from the home. The dogs that were not in the home at the time of the explosion are being taken care of by family.
Timeline of the explosion
Multiple fire crews responded to reports of the explosion Thursday evening around 6 p.m.
Emergency crews were dispatched to the area of 5680 N. S.R-23 in Cache County. Emergency personnel are engaging in fire and rescue operations as there were people inside the home at the time of the incident.
A neighbor told KSL that he saw the explosion from across the street. And said he could smell propane. Additionally, he could hear cries for help from inside, but could not get to them. He hurried home to call 911.
Another neighbor told KSL that pieces from the house are well onto his property, roughly a couple of hundred yards away.
KSL NewsRadio’s Hugo Rikard-Bell reported live from the scene Friday morning. Bell said there were piles of debris and a burnt, sour smell in the area .
The cause of the explosion is still unknown at this time.
- Explosion inside motorhome being investigated
- Man suffered burns to face, arm in explosion at his Plain City home
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- 3 children, 3 adults fatally shot at Nashville grade school
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Lake effect snow causes school delays, remote learning in northern Utah
- Fatal car accident in Box Elder
- Man suing Gwyneth Paltrow for $300,000+ to testify in Utah ski crash trial
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Long-time director of Sundance Mountain Resort retires