EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
Bonneville High School auto mechanics program named best in country
OGDEN, Utah — Some Students at Bonneville High School received top honors for their skills in auto mechanics.
The program there now has the title of ‘Top Shop’ in the nation.
High school accolades don’t all look the same. They’re not always about sports or academics.
“This is one of our designs. It says, ‘We void warranties.” student Monica Hernandez laughed. “It’s a little intimidating, but it’s like a great opportunity.”
Gaining those skills may require a certain amount of trust.
“Because what other high school is letting their students work on the principal’s truck,” Hernandez said with a chuckle.
It’s those hands-on skills that are getting students in the Auto Mechanics program at Bonneville High School some big honors.
O’Reilly Auto Parts and Wix filters awarded the program the title of Top Shop in the nation Tuesday. The award came with $10,000 for the program.
“Oh my gosh, I don’t even know where to start,” Arndt said. “We do 42 projects. These are being run by students. They are working with industry and I’m just that middle person to help them go, ‘Oh yeah, we should do that differently.’”
It is in many ways, the way he connected with cars.
“I went through education in the special ed program. I was deemed non-learning,” Arndt said. His passion for auto mechanics changed that. “Throughout my time, I was able to prove them wrong by opening a shop and running an industry. And when that time came up, I was like, ‘Okay, now it’s time to give back.’”
He’s giving through some of that shared experience and personal growth.
“The thought of just being able to do what I love and get paid for it too is like, and to be able to support people with it like my family is a, like, a great opportunity,” he said.
Several students like Hernandez also earned scholarships and will graduate with professional certifications.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County
- Auto-motorcycle crash sends one to hospital, causes TRAX delays
- Elk relocation and sections of I-80 closure
- Possible clothing thief at Brigham Young University
- Spanish Fork Holi Festival of Colors, coming soon
- At least 13 dead after magnitude 6.8 earthquake shakes Ecuador
- Man stranded in Warner Valley slot canyon is in serious condition
- Beating the Monday blues and the Sunday scaries
- Moab takes ‘a big step’ with launch of its 1st transit service
- Bonneville High School auto mechanics program named best in country