EDUCATION + SCHOOLS
Bonneville High School auto mechanics program named best in country
Mar 15, 2023, 1:00 PM | Updated: 1:19 pm
OGDEN, Utah — Some Students at Bonneville High School received top honors for their skills in auto mechanics.
The program there now has the title of ‘Top Shop’ in the nation.
High school accolades don’t all look the same. They’re not always about sports or academics.
“This is one of our designs. It says, ‘We void warranties.” student Monica Hernandez laughed. “It’s a little intimidating, but it’s like a great opportunity.”
Gaining those skills may require a certain amount of trust.
“Because what other high school is letting their students work on the principal’s truck,” Hernandez said with a chuckle.
It’s those hands-on skills that are getting students in the Auto Mechanics program at Bonneville High School some big honors.
O’Reilly Auto Parts and Wix filters awarded the program the title of Top Shop in the nation Tuesday. The award came with $10,000 for the program.
“Oh my gosh, I don’t even know where to start,” Arndt said. “We do 42 projects. These are being run by students. They are working with industry and I’m just that middle person to help them go, ‘Oh yeah, we should do that differently.’”
It is in many ways, the way he connected with cars.
“I went through education in the special ed program. I was deemed non-learning,” Arndt said. His passion for auto mechanics changed that. “Throughout my time, I was able to prove them wrong by opening a shop and running an industry. And when that time came up, I was like, ‘Okay, now it’s time to give back.’”
He’s giving through some of that shared experience and personal growth.
“The thought of just being able to do what I love and get paid for it too is like, and to be able to support people with it like my family is a, like, a great opportunity,” he said.
Several students like Hernandez also earned scholarships and will graduate with professional certifications.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom