POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
Gov. Cox signs bill requiring ‘historic’ Utah flag to always be flown at Capitol
Mar 21, 2023, 5:36 PM | Updated: Mar 22, 2023, 8:20 am
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Spencer Cox signed a new state flag bill Tuesday. S.B. 31 requires the historic Utah state flag to be flown at all times at the Capitol.
CORRECTED: @GovCox has signed the new state flag bill and is requiring the “historic flag” be flown at all times at the Capitol.
Gov @spencerjcox also asking #utleg to change lines so when the two flags are flown together, the “historic” flag is flown above the new “state flag.” pic.twitter.com/8ssntz8oMl
— Lindsay Aerts (@LindsayOnAir) March 21, 2023
S.B. 31 also requires the state flag to be flown at all state buildings during certain holidays and occasions.
Along with this, Gov. Cox wants Utah lawmakers to change some lines of the bill. Namely, that when the two flags are flown together, the historic Utah flag is flown above the new state flag. In a statement, Cox said this will “ensure that the historic flag will remain (a) symbol of our history and strength.”
Cox said he is “grateful to the tens of thousands of Utahns who participated in designing and selecting” the new state flag.
“Just as we have much to be grateful for from our ancestors,” Cox said, “I hope today’s Utahns will be worthy of the mantle that has been placed upon them to preserve and build Utah’s legacy for our children, grandchildren and generations to come.”
The new Utah state flag was selected in November 2022 after a months-long selection process.
The group organizing a referendum on the new state flag says it will continue its efforts to get the matter on the 2024 ballot.
Those of us who are working to get a referendum on the ballot in regards to SB31 appreciate @GovCox efforts to clarify some of the issues surrounding it, the Utah State Flag, and the Beehive Flag. We also understand an Executive Order is not binding and a future Utah Governor can…
— Chad Saunders (@Chadgs13) March 21, 2023
- New Utah state flag chosen after months of deliberation
- Group files paperwork for referendum on new state flag
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom