CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting
Mar 26, 2023, 5:26 PM | Updated: Mar 29, 2023, 9:25 am
SANDY, Utah — A police officer with the Sandy Police Department was involved in a fatal shooting early Sunday morning.
1 man is dead after an overnight officer involved shooting in Sandy.
We’ll have eyewitness video, what neighbors saw, and details from police at 5 & 5:30 @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/BLEKGHJWHf
— Shelby Lofton (@newswithShelby) March 26, 2023
According to the SCPD, the shooting took place in the area of 1160 E Eagle Bend Road at approximately 1 a.m.
The department says the officer was in the area looking for an adult male, who was later identified as 33-year-old Dylan Murphy. He had been reported to be suffering a mental health episode and was possibly suicidal, according to a press release.
Eventually, the Sandy police officer was able to locate the individual.
“At some point, the individual presented a threat that resulted in our (SCPD’s) officer discharging his firearm,” SCPD said in the press release.
Murphy died at the scene, according to the press release.
The officer is on paid administrative leave pending the investigation of the shooting. Along with this, the Salt Lake County officer-involved critical incident protocol has been invoked, according to the press release.
The Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office will review the investigation once it concludes.
This story is developing and will be updated as more details are made available.
If you or anyone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, call 988, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline or the Huntsman Mental Health Institute (1-801-583-2500).
- Farmington PD release body-cam footage of traffic stop that led to shooting
- Farmington Police Chief says suspect in officer-involved shooting was armed
- One man dead after shooting in Ogden Tuesday morning
- Utah gun expert talks about fatal police shooting of ‘sovereign citizen’
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- PornHub blocks users in Utah, cites state’s age verification law
- Record Utah winter makes up for years-long water shortfall