CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Ogden High School community reacts to active shooter hoax
Mar 29, 2023, 3:57 PM | Updated: Mar 30, 2023, 11:51 am
(Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News)
OGDEN, Utah — Several schools in Utah were placed on lockdown Wednesday morning after multiple calls falsely reported an active shooter. Ogden High School was one of the schools targeted by the hoax.
Following the lockdown, police swept the school and found there were no threats. Students were eventually sent home.
Ogden High School sophomore Kayley Beignet said she was scared at first but started to calm down after more information came through.
“I’m going to hopefully be okay. It might be a little tough, cause something could happen again,” she said, adding, “I’m okay with coming back tomorrow.”
Sophomore Kiya Johnston met up with friends to get a ride home following the lockdown.
“I was actually at the seminary building so I wasn’t actually on school property. So I was more worried about my friends than I was myself.”
Jordan Sanders had to rush to the school to pick up her niece.
“I got a text, an ‘I love you’ text from my niece. And that’s kind of abnormal. So my sister called me in a panic and told me that she heard that there was a shooter, she doesn’t know what’s going on. I live right down the street so I came right away.”
After learning that the situation was a hoax, Sanders said she was feeling pure anger.
“It’s a very scary and real thing and to have it be a hoax. Thank God it was a hoax, but it’s even more frustrating, you know? Because this torment was unnecessary.”
Law enforcement, including the FBI, is continuing to investigate the origin of the calls.
Related: Listen more, talk less, when addressing school shootings with your kids
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- PornHub blocks users in Utah, cites state’s age verification law
- Church announces sites for three previously announced temples