CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Teen fatally shot in Salt Lake City was a student at Clayton Middle School
Apr 26, 2023, 5:20 PM | Updated: Apr 27, 2023, 4:47 pm
SALT LAKE CITY — A shooting inside a Salt Lake City home Wednesday afternoon claimed the life of a teenage girl.
Salt Lake City police say the incident happened around noon in the 1600 block of West Wright Circle.
According to police, the suspect is the victim’s brother, and is also a minor. After the shooting, police say the suspect left the house, which led to nearby schools being placed on lockdown.
As first responders arrived on scene, they performed life-saving procedures on the victim. However, police say the victim died at the scene.
On Thursday, KSL NewsRadio learned that the victim was a student at Clayton Middle School in the Salt Lake City School District.
In an email sent to parents, Clayton Middle School Principal Dallin Miller said they are eager to help other students who may be grieving.
“We are deeply saddened by this loss and know this student’s passing may have an impact on many of the students and families in our school,” the email read.
“Because of that, we plan to have district crisis counselors available tomorrow (Thursday) at Clayton to any student who may need support.”
The suspect was safely taken into custody on a Utah Transit Authority bus in the area of 1455 W. 400 South. Police say the weapon used in this incident has been recovered.
The identities of the suspect and victim have not been released. The incident remains under investigation.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Number of spring thunderstorms considered normal for Utah
- The streaming shift from BYUtv to ESPN
- May’s warm temperatures break record in Salt Lake City
- Davis schools remove Bible from certain school shelves
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- KSL’s Doug Wright to host final movie show program, continues with long-time host Andy…
- Ballpark Next competition ends, ‘She Plays Here’ design among the winners
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart