CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Police seek photos, videos, information in overnight stabbing and shooting
Apr 30, 2023, 7:52 AM | Updated: 3:24 pm
(Photo: Salt Lake City Police Department)
SALT LAKE CITY — A busy night for Salt Lake City detectives means they need your help piecing together the sequence of events in a stabbing and shooting downtown.
In a release, Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown praised officers.
“Our officers did a remarkable job tonight,” he said. “These are high-stress situations, and I’m proud of our officers, sergeants, and watch commanders.”
Stabbing, shooting kept SLCPD busy overnight
It started just after 2:30 a.m. with a 911 call about a stabbing near 32 East Exchange Place. Police arrived to find a large crowd in the process of dispersing and a victim on the ground, apparently seriously hurt. That person was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
While still investigating the stabbing, officers heard gunfire around 3:45 a.m., coming from an area just to their west and began looking for a possible crime scene. They alerted dispatchers, then discovered damage from gunfire to a window at the Orrin G. Hatch United States Courthouse at 351 S. West Temple.
Officers tried to stop a person believed to be connected to the shooting on Market Street near 60 West. According to police, that person fled. Another officer spotted someone matching their description shortly afterward near Main Street and 600 South and locked down the area to continue the search.
Around 4:30 a.m., staff at an area hospital notified police about a person with a stab wound who walked into their unnamed emergency room. Police believe that person suffered their wound during the earlier fight at Exchange Place.
Minutes later, police say they found the shooting suspect and arrested him. They also found a firearm, crediting South Salt Lake Police for help in recovering it.
Police ask anyone with information about what happened to call them at 801-799-3000. They specified interest in video and photos, as well as social media posts regarding either the stabbing or the shooting.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15
- Adult filmmakers ask judge to delay Utah law requiring user age verification
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Getting to better conversations on race with Mia Love, acknowledgment is everything