CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
3 people hurt in crash following pursuit through Parleys Canyon
May 9, 2023, 6:30 PM
(Utah Highway Patrol)
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — Three people were injured early Tuesday morning following a pursuit through Parleys Canyon.
According to a news release from the Summit County Sheriff’s Office, deputies attempted to stop a vehicle near SR-224 and Bear Cub for several traffic violations just before 1 a.m. The attempted traffic stop led to a pursuit westbound on I-80 down Parleys Canyon at various speeds.
The driver initially took the eastbound ramp to I-215. However, the driver then tried to reenter I-80 using a different ramp, losing control of the vehicle in the process and causing it to roll.
Sgt. Cam Roden, of the Utah Highway Patrol, says as the vehicle rolled it hit the barrier, flipped over the barrier and landed on I-215 blocking the highway. He says the ramp was closed until about 4 a.m.
Roden says the vehicle had three occupants inside – two adult females and one adult male. He says one of the individuals was ejected from the vehicle. However, he was unsure which individual it was.
The other two individuals were extricated by emergency personnel. All three individuals were listed in serious condition.
The Summit County Sheriff’s Office says two of the individuals had several outstanding warrants for their arrest. Additionally, the Sheriff’s Office says during a search of the vehicle and the wreckage, small amounts of methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia were discovered.
Authorities also say stolen items, including U.S. mail were discovered in the wreckage.
The identities of those in the vehicle have not been released.
The UHP is investigating the crash. The Summit County Sheriff’s office is handling the pursuit and any charges.
- Woman driving 122 mph arrested after nearly hitting trooper, UHP says
- SLCPD arrest suspect following “highly coordinated” pursuit
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Utah House leader signals change to special election law to fill Rep. Stewart’s seat
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Teenager drowns at Palisade State Park after getting caught in storm, officials say
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia