CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
State Correctional Facility placed on temporary lockdown
May 14, 2023, 2:30 PM
(Kristin Murphy, Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah State Correctional Facility was placed on temporary lockdown Saturday following a fight between several inmates.
According to a news release from the Utah Department of Corrections, two individuals were transported to a hospital for injuries sustained during the incident. One of the individuals was admitted for additional treatment. No staff members were injured from the incident.
As a standard precautionary, the Utah Department of Corrections put a temporary lockdown in place at the USCF. Additionally, a lockdown was also issued for the Central Utah Correctional Facility in Gunnison. The lockdowns were issued to ensure the safety of all those individuals involved.
During the lockdowns, the inmates are limited to their assigned cells until a further review of the incident is completed.
The identities of those individuals involved were not released. Additionally, more information will be provided after the completion of the investigation.
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- 2,464 incarcerated individuals moved to new Utah State Correctional Facility
- State leaders cut the ribbon on new Utah State Correctional Facility
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- The Utah State Correctional Facility is cutting 400 beds and adding $150 million to costs
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado