State Correctional Facility placed on temporary lockdown
May 14, 2023, 2:30 PM
(Kristin Murphy, Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah State Correctional Facility was placed on temporary lockdown Saturday following a fight between several inmates.
According to a news release from the Utah Department of Corrections, two individuals were transported to a hospital for injuries sustained during the incident. One of the individuals was admitted for additional treatment. No staff members were injured from the incident.
As a standard precautionary, the Utah Department of Corrections put a temporary lockdown in place at the USCF. Additionally, a lockdown was also issued for the Central Utah Correctional Facility in Gunnison. The lockdowns were issued to ensure the safety of all those individuals involved.
During the lockdowns, the inmates are limited to their assigned cells until a further review of the incident is completed.
The identities of those individuals involved were not released. Additionally, more information will be provided after the completion of the investigation.
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- 2,464 incarcerated individuals moved to new Utah State Correctional Facility
- State leaders cut the ribbon on new Utah State Correctional Facility
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- The Utah State Correctional Facility is cutting 400 beds and adding $150 million to costs