OUTDOORS + RECREATION
Great fishing spots to check out in Utah
May 18, 2023, 9:00 PM
(Photo credit: Morgan Jacobsen/Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.)
SALT LAKE CITY — With the upcoming Memorial Day holiday weekend, many people will be turning their attention to outdoor activities, including fishing.
The Utah Division of Natural Resources says there are a number of fishing spots around the state that are worth checking out. The DNR also says conditions are usually pretty good this time of year.
Fishing in Southern Utah
- Joes Valley Reservoir (Emery County) – A great fishing hole if you are into fishing for trophy tiger muskie. The reservoir also has splate, rainbow and cutthroat trout. The DNR reports that success has been had both on shore or in a boat.
- Lake Powell (Garfield, Kane and San Juan counties) – At this time of year, this has been typically good success for striped bass, walleye, largemouth and smallmouth bass.
- Fish Lake (Sevier County) – The DNR says Fish Lake offers great fishing opportunities, mostly from a boat. In the early summer months, anglers can expect to have success for rainbow trout, kokanee salmon and yellow perch.
- Strawberry Reservoir (Wasatch County) – Roughly 90 minutes from Salt Lake City, anglers will find the fishing to be pretty consistent all summer for cutthroat and rainbow trout along with kokanee salmon, according to the DNR.
- Middle Provo River (Wasatch County) – This is an ideal close-to-home fishing spot for individuals along the Wasatch Front. The DNR says June and the early part of July is the best time to fish this body of water.
- Bear Lake (Rich County) – The DNR says there are plenty of areas to fish here. This time of the year, fishermen will be catching cutthroat trout. Additionally, the DNR says most success will be from a boat.
- Long Park Reservoir (Dagget County) – Whether you fish from the shore or from a boat, the DNR says you should expect a high catch rate at this destination. This time of year, rainbow trout and brook trout are being caught.
- Starvation Reservoir (Duchesne County) – The DNR says rainbow trout over 20 inches are “relatively abundant” at this location. However, most success is on a boat.
- Pelican Lake (Uintah County) – Great bass fishing from a boat makes this a popular location in the northeastern portion of the state.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lake Powell bounces back from record-low water levels
- Car leaves roadway in North Ogden, crashes onto residential property
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes
- Utah Highway Patrol warns of scam callers pretending to be troopers
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- Lori Daybell’s defense team files for new murder trial