CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
WVC police searching for suspect in attempted abduction of woman
May 22, 2023, 6:03 PM
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — West Valley City police are investigating an attempted abduction of a woman, who police say stopped to help who she thought was a stranded motorist.
The incident happened in the area of 7600 W. 5400 South around 1:30 a.m. Monday morning.
Police say a light-colored sedan was pulled over to the side of the road with the trunk open and emergency lights flashing. Police say a man was on the outside of the vehicle.
Additionally, police say that when the woman stopped and got out of her vehicle, the man brandished a handgun. And police say that he forced her into the backseat of his car where he attempted to assault the woman. The woman was able to escape out of the vehicle and fled the scene in her vehicle.
According to police, the victim’s dashcam recorded the rear of the vehicle belonging to the suspect. It shows that there is blue tape around the bumper on both sides. However, the license plate was not visible.
Police say the suspect’s vehicle is likely a Chevy Aveo. The suspect is described as a male with a beard. He was wearing a bright yellow shirt and a beanie.
Anyone with any information regarding this suspect or incident are asked to call West Valley City police at 801-965-5200. Tips can be provided anonymously.
- Man shot, injured by West Valley police after suspected DUI stop; gun recovered by officers
- West Valley police searching for suspect in apartment stabbing
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lake Powell bounces back from record-low water levels
- Car leaves roadway in North Ogden, crashes onto residential property
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Utah Highway Patrol warns of scam callers pretending to be troopers
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- Lori Daybell’s defense team files for new murder trial