Second hiker found dead in Kane County’s Buckskin Gulch
May 23, 2023, 6:00 AM | Updated: May 25, 2023, 9:14 am
Listen live: Why is Buckskin Gulch so dangerous?
KANAB, Utah — A second hiker missing in Buckskin Gulch has been found dead. Rescuers believe the second man had been hiking with another man in Kane County’s Paria Canyon.
Rescuers believe both men were caught in flash flooding in the slot canyons.
The hikers have been identified as Gary York of West Chester Township, Ohio, age 65, and John Walter, of Kettering, Ohio, age 72.
York was found Sunday in Kane County’s Paria Canyon. Walter was located later.
A group of hikers were in Paria Canyon when they found York’s body on Sunday, Kane County Sheriff’s Lt. Alan Alldredge said.
Deputies located and retrieved the hiker’s body and were investigating the incident when they received a call Monday from an Ohio police department regarding the hiker.
Alldredge said based on the information from the Ohio police officers, they believe the man who was found dead originally went missing in Buckskin Gulch and his body was washed to the Paria Canyon. The man’s companion was also reported as missing, Alldredge said.
The death marks the second fatal incident this year in Buckskin Gulch. In March, two hikers died during a flood in the area, and one person in their group was rescued. All three men were visiting from the Tampa Bay, Florida area.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- Winners announced of SLC Ballpark Next Design competition
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Church announces site of Charlotte North Carolina Temple
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Adult filmmakers ask judge to delay Utah law requiring porn sites verify user ages
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- Herriman couple ‘lucky to be alive’ after socket smashes windshield