CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Climber in Big Cottonwood Canyon dies after falling 100 feet
May 24, 2023, 6:48 PM | Updated: 6:53 pm
BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON, Utah– A 26-year-old man fell an estimated 100 feet while climbing Outer Corner in Big Cottonwood Canyon .
The Utah Highway Patrol received a call at 12:22 p.m. from the victim’s girlfriend yelling for help.
Sgt. Melody Cutler with the Unified Police Department said how he fell is unknown.
Along with UPD, Salt Lake County Search, and Rescue as well as a DPS helicopter responded to the scene. The victim died on the scene.
Cutler said the climber was equipped with the proper safety equipment.
- Woman dies in hiking accident in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- Avalanche warning and Big Cottonwood Canyon road closure
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experiencing a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful
- May’s warm temperatures break record in Salt Lake City