12-year-old boy burned after dumping gasoline on campfire, authorities say
Feb 12, 2024, 10:10 AM | Updated: Feb 22, 2024, 4:55 pm
Sound up for our live interview on fire safety with Unified Fire:
HURRICANE, Utah — A 12-year-old boy is in the hospital after accidentally setting his leg on fire in Hurricane on Saturday night. Authorities said the boy dumped gasoline on an active campfire.
Hurricane Valley Fire District Cpt. Tyler Ames told KSL NewsRadio the boy was in a backyard around a campfire with friends. He poured gasoline on the campfire, igniting his leg.
A Facebook post from Hurricane Valley Fire and Rescue said the boy sustained second and third-degree burns to 8% of his body, mostly around his leg and foot.
He was taken to a local hospital. However, he has since been taken to a burn unit in Las Vegas.
Other areas in the backyard caught fire while the boy was running around. That said, they were out when crews arrived.
Hurricane Valley Fire and Rescue wants to remind those in a similar situation to stop, drop, and roll.
“When emergencies happen sometimes if we’re not prepared for it, our mindset is not in the right spot,” Ames said.
Ames said he would never advise someone to dump gasoline on an active fire. Instead, he suggests using lighter fluid or charcoal starter fluid.