WORLD NEWS

Trump says he’s paused US effort to guide stranded vessels out of Strait of Hormuz

May 5, 2026, 5:26 PM | Updated: 5:48 pm

strait of hormuz...

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Dan Caine speak to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, Tuesday, May 5, 2026. (Manuel Balce Ceneta, AP Photo)

(Manuel Balce Ceneta, AP Photo)

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday evening that he is pausing the U.S. effort to guide stranded vessels out of the Strait of Hormuz to finalize an Iran deal, but that the American forces’ blockade of Iranian ports would remain in place.

Trump announced the decision in a social media post, saying he was pausing the effort for a short period to give space for U.S. efforts to finalize a settlement with Iran to end the war.

Trump said in the post he was making the move based “on the request of Pakistan and other Countries, the tremendous Military Success that we have had during the Campaign against the Country of Iran and, additionally, the fact that Great Progress has been made toward a Complete and Final Agreement with Representatives of Iran.”

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment offering further detail about the progress in negotiations that Trump alluded to in his posting.

The announcement came after military leaders and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio insisted a ceasefire in the Middle East was still holding and that — while the conflict is not resolved — the initial major U.S. military operation against Iran has concluded.

Rubio told a White House press briefing Tuesday that for peace to be achieved, Iran must agree to U.S. President Donald Trump’s demands on its nuclear program and also agree to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for global energy.

He spoke as the United Arab Emirates said it came under attack from Iranian drones and missiles for a second day.

“We would prefer the path of peace,” Rubio said. He also expressed hope that during the expected visit to China by Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Wednesday, Beijing would reiterate to Tehran the need to release its chokehold on the strait.

“It is in China’s interest that Iran stop closing the strait,” Rubio said.

US pushed efforts to reopen the strategic Strait of Hormuz

Earlier in the day, the United States pressed on for a second with its effort to reopen the strait to maritime traffic — an operation Rubio described as defensive and aimed at helping thousands of civilian sailors stranded there by the war.

“They’re sitting ducks, they’re isolated, they’re starving, they’re vulnerable,” Rubio said. “At least 10 sailors have already died as a result.”

On Monday, the U.S. said it had opened a lane and sunk six small Iranian boats that had threatened commercial ships. So far, only two merchant ships are known to have passed through the new U.S.-guarded route, with hundreds more bottled up in the Persian Gulf.

Iran’s effective closure of the strait, through which major oil and gas supplies passed before the war, along with fertilizer and other petroleum products, has sent fuel prices skyrocketing and rattled the global economy. Breaking Iran’s grip would deny its main source of leverage as U.S. President Donald Trump demands a major rollback of its disputed nuclear program.

Iran says the new US effort violates ceasefire

Earlier on Tuesday, U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Gen. Dan Caine, the U.S. military’s top officer, told a news conference that Iran’s renewed attacks had not reached the threshold of what Caine called “major combat operations.” He said Tuesday marked a “quieter” day in the strait.

“The ceasefire is not over,” Hegseth said.

At the White House, Rubio said clashes with Iran related to American efforts to reopen the straight were “defensive in nature.”

“There’s no shooting unless we’re shot at first, OK?” Rubio said. “We’re not attacking them.”

Iran’s parliament speaker and chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, signaled that Iran has yet to fully respond to the U.S. attempt to reopen the waterway.

“We know full well that the continuation of the status quo is intolerable for America; while we have not even begun yet,” he said in a post on X. His statement did not mention negotiations with the U.S. that are now in the form of passing messages via Pakistan.

Disputing Washington’s claim of sinking six Iranian boats, an Iranian military commander said two small civilian cargo boats were hit Monday, killing five civilians, Iran’s state TV reported.

Caine, the top U.S. general who serves as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said more than 100 U.S. military aircraft are patrolling the skies over the strait. The U.S. has imposed a naval blockade on Iranian ports since April 13, depriving Tehran of oil revenue it needs to shore up its ailing economy.

The Trump administration has cited the April 8 ceasefire in asserting that the president does not have to give a formal update to Congress on the war under the War Powers Resolution. That law typically requires presidents to seek formal approval from Congress for war activities 60 days after beginning military action.

Shippers remain wary

So far, just two civilian vessels, both U.S.-flagged merchant ships, are known to have passed through the strait as part of the lane the U.S. says it has created. Shipping company Maersk said one of them, a vehicle carrier that it operates, exited the strait safely Monday with U.S. military assistance.

Former military officers who have served on the strait have said opening it would be dangerous and highly challenging, even with military escorts, which the U.S. is not providing now.

There’s little room to maneuver in the waterway that is just 21 miles (34 kilometers) wide, and Iran can reach all of the strait and its approaches with cruise missiles. It also can target vessels with longer-range missiles, drones, fast attack craft and mines.

Hapag-Lloyd AG, one of the world’s largest container shipping companies, said in a statement that its risk assessment “remains unchanged” and that transits through the strait “are for the moment not possible for our ships.”

Iran has attacked ships that try to transit without going through its own route in the northern part of the strait along the Iranian coastline. That involves being vetted by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard and in some cases making a payment.

The U.S.-approved route goes through territorial waters of Oman to the south.

“For shipping companies and for insurance companies, they still have to wait and see how this plays out,” said Torbjorn Soltvedt, principal Middle East analyst at risk intelligence company Verisk Maplecroft.

“This initiative alone isn’t something that looks like it’s going to open the Strait of Hormuz,” he said.

The UAE bore the brunt of Iran’s retaliation

The United Arab Emirates said Monday its air defenses had engaged 15 missiles and four drones fired by Iran. Authorities in the eastern emirate of Fujairah said one drone sparked a fire at a key oil facility, wounding three Indian nationals. The British military reported two cargo vessels ablaze off the UAE, also on Monday.

On Tuesday, the UAE’s Defense Ministry said it was responding to another Iranian drone and missile attack, though there were no reports of damage or casualties.

Iran denied striking the UAE “in recent days,” according to a statement by Ebrahim Zolfaghari, a spokesman for Iran’s joint military command, that was read Tuesday on state TV.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi called the targeting of UAE civilians and infrastructure “unacceptable.” Pakistan and Saudi Arabia also condemned the strikes.

Tehran did not confirm or deny the attacks. But Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on X that the U.S. and the UAE “should be wary of being dragged back into quagmire.”


Madhani and Finley reported from Washington, and Becatoros reported from Athens, Greece. Associated Press writers Farnoush Amiri at the United Nations; Collin Binkley and Matthew Lee in Washington; Giovanna Dell’Orto in Minneapolis; Sally Abou AlJoud in Beirut; Sheikh Saaliq in New Delhi; Meg Kinnard in Columbia, South Carolina; Bill Barrow in Atlanta; David McHugh in Frankfurt, Germany; and Russ Bynum in Savannah, Georgia, contributed to this report.

Read more: US warns shipping firms over paying Iran to transit the Strait of Hormuz

We want to hear from you.

Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.

World News

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, authoritie...

Associated Press staff

Liberia agrees to take 1,200 deportees from the United States

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, authorities in the West African country said Tuesday.

21 hours ago

A motorcycle crushed by the debris of a partially collapsed building at the Bellavista neighborhood...

Marko Alvarez, Astrid Suarez and Nayara Batschke, Associated Press

Hope reborn in Colombia as signs of life emerge under earthquake debris

Rescuers reported apparent signs of life under the rubble in two of the Colombian cities hit hardest by a massive earthquake, rekindling hopes Friday that more people could be found alive.

5 days ago

FILE: Travis Clark, right, watches as the USS Abraham Lincoln prepares to leave Naval Station Evere...

Jason Swensen, Deseret News

Hegseth responds to alarming reports about conditions on the USS Abraham Lincoln

The long-deployed USS Abraham Lincoln, a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier carrying approximately 5,000 troops, has been heavily involved in the ongoing war with Iran.

5 days ago

FILE: USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) conducts U.S. blockade operations related to the Strait of Hormu...

The Associated Press

New aircraft carrier heads toward Mideast after reports of issues on long-deployed USS Lincoln

The USS George Washington has begun heading toward the Middle East as reports have emerged of mental health and supply issues aboard the long-deployed USS Abraham Lincoln.

6 days ago

Israeli army soldiers patrol the streets of the occupied West Bank village of Qusra, south of Nablu...

Sam Metz and Aref Tufaha, Associated Press

Israeli settlers’ siege of Palestinian homes draws a sharp US rebuke

For five nights, Israeli settlers surrounded three Palestinian homes on the outskirts of a town in the occupied West Bank.

6 days ago

Damaged buildings are seen at Circunvalar Avenue after a magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck Colombia o...

Astrid Suarez, Megan Janetsky and Marko Alvarez, Associated Press

Earthquake response strains Colombia’s new government and rescuers as they race against the clock

Tons of aid from regional partners rolled into Colombia Wednesday as the search for survivors in the rubble of a powerful earthquake grew more desperate.

7 days ago

Sponsored Articles

Whether you are chasing pristine beaches, fresh raspberry shakes, or endless water sports, this spo...

Bear Lake

Road trip ready: How Bear Lake became the go-to destination for Western U.S. travelers

Whether you are chasing pristine beaches, fresh raspberry shakes, or endless water sports, this sponsored guide—brought to you in partnership with Bear Lake —uncovers everything you need to plan the ultimate getaway.

How Harper Clinic's IOP is changing the face of mental health treatment in Utah....

Harper Clinic

A new standard of care: How Harper Clinic’s IOP is changing the face of mental health treatment in Utah

As demand for mental health care continues to rise across Utah County, Orem's Harper Clinic says it is trying to close the gap with a more comprehensive approach to mental health treatment.

The weight of depression is real. Many people spend years fighting it, adjusting medications, manag...

Harper Clinic

Breaking free from depression: How Harper Clinic’s TMS Therapy can help

Breaking free from depression: How Harper Clinic's TMS Therapy can help.

mental health...

Andrew Adams, KSL

Library discussions bring men’s mental health to the surface

Therapists say it’s common for men to repress things like trauma, grief, stress and anxiety. Now, a new weekly series of discussions aims to help men bring it all to the surface.

...

Bear Lake Convention & Visitors Bureau

Cozy up in Bear Lake: Discover the magic of a winter getaway

SALT LAKE CITY – The holiday season shines brightest when time slows down and loved ones gather. Gifts, decorations and festive music come and go, but shared experiences tend to last much longer. Research supports that idea. Dr. Theresa E. DiDonato told Psychology Today that vacations can strengthen relationships by creating meaningful time away from daily […]

...

Harper Clinic

Rewriting the path to healing: Inside Harper Clinic’s whole-person mental health model

OREM — A few decades ago, you’d have had a hard time finding a doctor to treat both your mind and body; And a century ago, you’d have been hard-pressed to find a doctor to treat your mind at all. Today, medical professionals are understanding more and more the undeniable connection between the body and […]

Trump says he’s paused US effort to guide stranded vessels out of Strait of Hormuz