WORLD NEWS

UK bans under-16s from using social media apps including TikTok and YouTube

Jun 15, 2026, 8:34 AM

Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer attends a press conference to announce government action to p...

Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer attends a press conference to announce government action to protect children online, at Downing Street in central London, Monday, June 15, 2026. (Carlos Jasso, Pool Photo via AP)

(Carlos Jasso, Pool Photo via AP)

LONDON (AP) — Britain will ban children aged under 16 from using a range of social media apps, including Snapchat, TikTok and YouTube, to protect them from harmful content and excessive screen time, Prime Minister Keir Starmer said Monday.

The plan was met with mixed reaction, with some praising Starmer for taking action and others questioning the effectiveness of a blanket ban.

YouTube and Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, warned Monday that a blanket social media restriction could push kids into unregulated online spaces.

“Blanket bans push kids out of such curated, supervised, beneficial experiences and towards anonymous, less-safe services,” a YouTube spokesperson said. Meta said a ban could drive teens to online spaces without any parental controls.

Starmer acknowledged the challenges, but said: “I do believe we can enforce it.”

He added: “Teenagers drink before they should, but we do not then say, ‘in which case let us abandon any attempt to stop them buying alcohol.'”

Starmer — who is under pressure to step down from members of his own party over what they see as poor leadership and could face a challenge from within his Labour Party in the coming days or weeks — acknowledged that some teenagers would try to find their way around a ban. But he said he is “not prepared to compromise on the safety and happiness of our children.”

“Every parent can see it with their own eyes. Social media is making children unhappy,” said Starmer, who has two teenage children. “I’ve heard first hand from families crying out for change and we will do right by them.”

‘Big moment for our country’

The ban, which is expected to take effect early next year, makes the U.K. part of a growing global movement to tighten online safety for children. Australia, Canada, Brazil and Indonesia have introduced legislation or announced age-based restrictions or requirements for children’s access to social media. France, Spain, Denmark, Thailand and South Korea are among others studying or developing similar approaches.

The U.K. plans to follow the same model for a social media ban as Australia, which last year became the first country to bar under-16s from holding social media accounts. Platforms that fail to take reasonable steps to exclude children younger than 16 could be punished with multimillion-dollar fines.

The U.K. said its ban will apply to platforms including Snapchat, TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and X, but not YouTube Kids or messaging services like WhatsApp and Signal. Starmer stressed that enforcement action will target tech companies, not children.

Starmer said the move was a “big moment for our country,” adding that he will go further than Australia’s measures.

He said the government will act to prevent strangers from contacting children on gaming and livestreaming platforms. Authorities are also considering additional measures including overnight curfews and breaks in infinite scrolling for those under 18. More details are expected next month.

Some skepticism over whether a ban will work

The decision follows a public comment period in which the government received 116,000 responses from parents, the tech industry and children. More than 90% of respondents wanted an under-16 ban, the government said.

Ellen Roome, a children’s online safety campaigner whose son took his own life at 14 years old, welcomed the move. She believes her son died after an online challenge went wrong and has campaigned for legal reforms to give parents access to children’s social media accounts after their death.

“The tech companies, if they wanted to make changes, they could have done that by now. They’ve chosen not to do it,” she said. “We need to come down hard on them. If they’re not going to do it, we need to be very strict.”

But others say research in Australia has shown that age verification is difficult to enforce, and that a blanket ban seemed to be a snap decision that does not address a deeper problem — the way social media algorithms push harmful content to young people.

“This is far too easy to work around. It is based on age verification tools that have been shown to be ineffective to date,” said Kate Edwards, head of education at the Molly Rose Foundation, which was set up in memory of 14-year-old Molly Russell, who died by suicide after being exposed to self-harm content online.

“It does nothing to address the actual problem itself, the harmful algorithms, the harmful content that is existing on those platforms,” Edwards added.

Meta shares “the goal of keeping teens safe online,” a spokesperson said, adding: “Which is why we developed Teen Accounts to automatically limit who can contact them and the content they see. Like others, we don’t think bans will achieve this goal.”

Meta said the move by Australia had shown how “bans risk isolating teens from online communities and information.”

Jon Crowcroft, a communications systems professor at the University of Cambridge, said people supporting social bans are well-meaning but probably misguided, and changes could prevent children from accessing sites they need.

“There is a real risk this will drive some users to worse sites and policing devices is close to impossible technically,” Crowcroft said.

Other critics including the Open Rights Group have expressed concerns about age verification companies and how users’ private data is protected.

U.S. opposes the move

The ban could further inflame tensions with the U.S., which has warned that regulations should be narrow and not violate free speech protections, according to a statement from the U.S. Embassy in London. It said it was also concerned that regulations would place greater burdens on American technology companies.

Starmer said he expected to discuss the issue with U.S. President Donald Trump and other world leaders at a Group of Seven summit in France that starts Monday.

“I honestly think that across world leaders, there has always been a recognition that leaders have to take steps to protect children,” he said. “I don’t think that’s controversial.”
___
Associated Press writer Jill Lawless contributed to this story.

We want to hear from you.

Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.

World News

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, authoritie...

Associated Press staff

Liberia agrees to take 1,200 deportees from the United States

Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, authorities in the West African country said Tuesday.

15 hours ago

A motorcycle crushed by the debris of a partially collapsed building at the Bellavista neighborhood...

Marko Alvarez, Astrid Suarez and Nayara Batschke, Associated Press

Hope reborn in Colombia as signs of life emerge under earthquake debris

Rescuers reported apparent signs of life under the rubble in two of the Colombian cities hit hardest by a massive earthquake, rekindling hopes Friday that more people could be found alive.

5 days ago

FILE: Travis Clark, right, watches as the USS Abraham Lincoln prepares to leave Naval Station Evere...

Jason Swensen, Deseret News

Hegseth responds to alarming reports about conditions on the USS Abraham Lincoln

The long-deployed USS Abraham Lincoln, a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier carrying approximately 5,000 troops, has been heavily involved in the ongoing war with Iran.

5 days ago

FILE: USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) conducts U.S. blockade operations related to the Strait of Hormu...

The Associated Press

New aircraft carrier heads toward Mideast after reports of issues on long-deployed USS Lincoln

The USS George Washington has begun heading toward the Middle East as reports have emerged of mental health and supply issues aboard the long-deployed USS Abraham Lincoln.

6 days ago

Israeli army soldiers patrol the streets of the occupied West Bank village of Qusra, south of Nablu...

Sam Metz and Aref Tufaha, Associated Press

Israeli settlers’ siege of Palestinian homes draws a sharp US rebuke

For five nights, Israeli settlers surrounded three Palestinian homes on the outskirts of a town in the occupied West Bank.

6 days ago

Damaged buildings are seen at Circunvalar Avenue after a magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck Colombia o...

Astrid Suarez, Megan Janetsky and Marko Alvarez, Associated Press

Earthquake response strains Colombia’s new government and rescuers as they race against the clock

Tons of aid from regional partners rolled into Colombia Wednesday as the search for survivors in the rubble of a powerful earthquake grew more desperate.

6 days ago

Sponsored Articles

Whether you are chasing pristine beaches, fresh raspberry shakes, or endless water sports, this spo...

Bear Lake

Road trip ready: How Bear Lake became the go-to destination for Western U.S. travelers

Whether you are chasing pristine beaches, fresh raspberry shakes, or endless water sports, this sponsored guide—brought to you in partnership with Bear Lake —uncovers everything you need to plan the ultimate getaway.

How Harper Clinic's IOP is changing the face of mental health treatment in Utah....

Harper Clinic

A new standard of care: How Harper Clinic’s IOP is changing the face of mental health treatment in Utah

As demand for mental health care continues to rise across Utah County, Orem's Harper Clinic says it is trying to close the gap with a more comprehensive approach to mental health treatment.

The weight of depression is real. Many people spend years fighting it, adjusting medications, manag...

Harper Clinic

Breaking free from depression: How Harper Clinic’s TMS Therapy can help

Breaking free from depression: How Harper Clinic's TMS Therapy can help.

mental health...

Andrew Adams, KSL

Library discussions bring men’s mental health to the surface

Therapists say it’s common for men to repress things like trauma, grief, stress and anxiety. Now, a new weekly series of discussions aims to help men bring it all to the surface.

...

Bear Lake Convention & Visitors Bureau

Cozy up in Bear Lake: Discover the magic of a winter getaway

SALT LAKE CITY – The holiday season shines brightest when time slows down and loved ones gather. Gifts, decorations and festive music come and go, but shared experiences tend to last much longer. Research supports that idea. Dr. Theresa E. DiDonato told Psychology Today that vacations can strengthen relationships by creating meaningful time away from daily […]

...

Harper Clinic

Rewriting the path to healing: Inside Harper Clinic’s whole-person mental health model

OREM — A few decades ago, you’d have had a hard time finding a doctor to treat both your mind and body; And a century ago, you’d have been hard-pressed to find a doctor to treat your mind at all. Today, medical professionals are understanding more and more the undeniable connection between the body and […]

UK bans under-16s from using social media apps including TikTok and YouTube