Andy Stokes – Dixie High School
Andy has the unusual position of teaching every single 12th grade student about Financial Literacy at Dixie High. He takes this responsibility very seriously, and brings a curriculum into the classroom that is timely, valuable, and pertinent to the lives of students. I have spoken to students in his classroom who always report that they enjoy learning in his classroom and find the information useful. Their comments often include such responses as, “Mr. Stokes teachers me things I can really use in my life.”
Andy has also included skills that these high school seniors will need to survive the next years of their lives, as they move on to higher education. Before them they face a new challenge of navigating through the world of student aide, loans, tuition, living costs, and the wise use of credit. Much of Andy’s instructional practice focuses on making responsible decisions about financing college and avoiding debt–good lessons for our kids! He enriches learning activities by bringing in information from nationally recognized experts and also local guest speakers.
Finally, Andy has a remarkable ability to connect with students. He is concerned about each individual, and especially aware of the challenges that some students experience in their families and personal lives. He is determined to not lose a single kid Andy and his wife frequently undertake fundraising efforts to assist families in need. He connects to our school community and extends his positive efforts to the greater St. George community as well. In one instance last year, a student’s mother passed away unexpectedly. The family could not afford to pay for burial expenses, and Andy went immediately to work, raising several thousand dollars to help this family honor their mother and provide for her burial. This is an example of the proactive way that Andy impacts the lives of his students.
Thank you for considering Andy Stokes for your recognition as an outstanding financial literacy teacher. Truly, he is an outstanding example of good teaching, relevance, and kindness. Among the many outstanding teachers in our state, Andy stands out as a force for good.
– Sharla Campbell
Today’s Top Stories
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Power outage in Murray leaves 4,943 customers without power
- Native tribes of Utah are given their chance to offer historical perspectives on museum artifacts
- 1st death from Hurricane Ida; power out across New Orleans
- Utah well-represented during international gymnastics competition
- Utah Naloxone and law enforcement reach milestone in preventing overdose deaths
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- International airlines suspend some US flights over 5G uncertainty