Deanna Coates, Provo High School
This teacher is not only an amazing teacher in her own right, but she has gone out of her way to learn and grow as a “Co-Teacher” so her Special Education and General Education departments could learn from her. Last year she took the extra time to relearn high school math so she could co-teach with the math teacher the next period. She showed up as a student every class, while still keeping up her other duties as Provo High’s SpEd facilitator, and taking over a sick colleagues Health class entirely. But this is par for the course for Deanna. She consistently freely gives of her time to both her students and department, helping them get their meetings completed, filling in for sick team members, working one on one with home bound students, parents of struggling students, other teacher’s students, and is still co-teaching a math class and a Special Needs class. She works every lunch and just about every game available, and everyone knows her bright spirit and her infectious laugh. As her assigned assistant principal I would normally not have a favorite, but no one can fault me for wanting to celebrate a teacher who gives it all every day to make a difference the way Deanna does.
Today’s Top Stories
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Semifinalists for the new Utah flag design unveiled
- New fire breaks out on Y Mountain in Provo
- BYU student and youngest-ever Survivor contestant says he’s confident he will win
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Be on lookout for suspicious vehicle in Nephi
- Former U.S. Attorney for Utah talks about what FBI can take off your cellphone
- Home prices in Salt Lake City harbinger of a national trend?
- North Korea fires ballistic missile into waters off east coast of Korean peninsula
- Time Out on the Field