Dennis Erickson – Fairfield Junior High School
I would like to nominate a science teacher from Fairfield Jr. High for the Teacher Feature. He has taught at Fairfield since the school opened 16 years ago. His efforts in the classroom and the countless hours after school has had a profound impact in students’ lives.
He has worked with implementing a Science program that has excelled since its beginning. Mr. Erickson has led the school’s Science Olympiad team to state championship for the last 15 years. The year before that, the first year the school was involved, they took second place. Because of taking first place at state competition, he has led the team to the national competition to compete with the best science students from all over the country, for 15 years straight. Just this year, the Science Olympiad team has recently returned from the national competition to come home with medals in 4 of the 24 events. This competition is with the best science minds in our countries schools! What an accomplishment to do this for 15 years straight.
This program has made a profound difference in the lives of the students involved. First, they have learned that science is fun. Second, they see that science can help us in everyday life. Next, they have the opportunity to develop strong friendships with students who have similar interests. Finally, these students have had the chance to work as a team and develop communication and social skills. What Mr. Erickson has done for these students will never be forgotten.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Brigham City Police locate missing teenager
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- West Valley police searching for suspect in apartment stabbing
- A 21-year-old man formally charged in fatal Ogden shooting