Karen Brown – Bluffdale Elementary
Mrs. Karen Brown is a fun, happy, “go-getter” who actively stays “fit” so she can entice her students to try to “out run” her in their races. She is remarkable, patient, and encouraging. She has a class with a wide variety of challenges and seems to be able to adjust the educational needs of the individual child with a “can do” optimistic attitude. One example of this is Fabulous Fridays…a fun activity set aside for the children who complete their weekly homework. For many, many weeks and months our son hasn’t been able to attend. He isn’t on the same level as the rest of the children and was discouraged, disengaged and even angry to even go to school to learn.
Mrs. Brown modified our son’s work to his level. She spent time getting to know his specific needs and reading up on specialized care that would benefit his learning. This was amazing to have a teacher be humble, open and willing to learn and grow to increase her knowledge base in order to be supportive of our son in counseling and therapy. She would come to our home and visit with the family and interact with our son in active, fun games of his choosing as a reward for completing certain tasks at school. In the 26 years as a mother, I’ve never seen a teacher be as committed to our son’s success as we are…like Mrs. Brown has demonstrated.
When our family experienced harsh events this past Fall, she was incredibly sensitive and was a neutralizing and stabilizing factor in our family’s lives. She gave kind, patient guidance while validating our son in how to deal with life and she worked hard to help him understand the important concept of having an education so that he can support himself and his future family. I nominate Mrs. Karen Brown as the teacher of the year. We are so thankful for Mrs. Brown and the tremendous blessing she has been in our lives. She’s been a lifeline and tender mercy sent from the heavens for not only the sake of our son’s education, but for recognizing his unique, infinite, and absolute value as person.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- SLCPD officer witnesses wrong-way drunk driver crash into embankment
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen