Kathy White – Valley View Elementary School
Kathy was born to be a teacher. Even as she finishes her master’ degree in Reading this semester and develops her skills as a second grade teacher, it is her inner qualities that motivate her students to love learning. The children simply flock to her side as she opens windows to all the new and wonderful things they will explore together each day. Mrs. White expands their world with laughter and books. When she reads “Hank the Cow Dog” stories aloud in her Texas drawl, the students giggle and move closer to hear more. Current and former students bring her news of their daily lives. They intuitively feel this teacher knows them, accepts and cares.
As her husband, I can say that Kathy thinks about and plans for each student’s individual needs. I never hear her say “My class needs this or that”, but it is each student by name that she worries about and plans for.
Her classes are requested by many, many parents each year. Older siblings bring home “Mrs. White stories” and as parents watch their children go from challenged readers to motivated learners, they want each of their kids to have that experience.
Teacher’s may be schooled in the art and science of instruction, but the special ones – the ones that change young lives for the better – are born with a teaching heart. Mrs. White shares such a heart.
-Dr. Mark White
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- UPDATE: SLCPD investigating party shooting that left one in critical condition
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Semi-truck rolls on I-80 at U.S.-40, Silver Creek Junction
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- Tooele City releases fireworks restrictions map