Kay Merrell – Viewmont High School
I met Ms. Merrell last year when she transferred from Layton High; she is a teacher who not only teaches for herself but as well as every student individually. She teaches with passion, which is hard to find these days. I can’t even explain her in words, she is my hero. I recently had brain surgery, I really struggled and was so scared but, she stayed after school with me multiple times and talked with me. She made it seem like everything would be fine and I would be okay even though I thought differently. She just listens. She gives you input to not only helps but encourage you.
I also struggle immensely with writing, but once I left her class I felt I knew I was 10x the writer. I still am not the greatest but she has taught me how to write with passion. Not every sentence has to matter, we don’t have to be the greatest, but as long as we are proud of our work, we are the greatest; she taught me WHO cares what others say or do. The only thing that matters is what you surround your life in. I am in awe of her. She may not harshly correct papers, but it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks as long as you believe in your greatness. She believes in any one, she believes we all contribute in our own ways.
Miss. Merrell has a marble theory she taught me where in your life we all experience and do different things. The marbles stand for who you are. You may lose you’re marbles, but that’s okay because you can gain new marbles with new life experiences, trials, etc. And throughout time you’re vase (you) can become brighter. The color, shape, everything matters because it shapes who you are and how you contribute.
One of her favorite quotes by Walt Whitman is “That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.” Merrell gave me a card saying: What will your verse be? I’ve had in my cellphone case I carry with me at all times. It reminds me that life IS powerful but we all have something to add and contribute too. No matter what it is, we all can achieve greatness.
She will forever have a lasting impact on my life.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- As two federal pandemic emergency-assistance programs near an end, Cox has solutions
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- 3 injured after port-a-potty truck took a spill on I-80 in Tooele County
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says