Lois Mortensen – Bluffdale Elementary School
Greetings KSL Newsradio and Zions Bank!
It is with great pleasure that I take this opportunity to nominate Lois Mortensen of Bluffdale Elementary for the Teacher Feature award.
Lois is a veteran teacher of over 24 years, but new to our Bluffdale Elementary school. I’ll never forget seeing her step out of the school on the first day of class to greet her new students lined up at the door. Those second graders mouths were hanging open as she sang, “How do you do? Welcome!” and shook each of their hands down the line. I thought, “We are in for a grand year” and she has not disappointed.
Her classroom is a beehive of happy work and learning. A resident weather station, and plant growing observation area provide hands on experiences. Phrases from different languages, sign language, and abundant music are incorporated into lessons. The children often sing while they work. Yesterday my son came in the house singing (to the tune of “The Ants Go Marching…”)
“Arachnids have two body parts, harrah! Harrah!” He’ll never forget the parts of a spider as long as he lives!
The most remarkable parts of Lois Mortensen’s classroom are not to be seen with the eye or heard with the ear: That knowledge is fun! That learning is exciting and brings joy! That the world is a beautiful, fascinating place! That respect and kindness are part of our learning on this planet. No classroom stations or prescribed methods can teach these intangibles. They are imparted by the soul of a teacher who loves her students with unrivaled passion, and sees the goodness and potential of each individual child. This classroom, full or positive energy and extremely high expectations, is what every parent dreams that their child’s education can be.
I ask you to award Lois Mortensen this honor, in recognition of her tremendous impact on the hundreds of students she has mentored throughout her career.
Emily M. Jones
Today’s Top Stories
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Chinese President Xi Jinping tells troops to focus on ‘preparing for war’
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Senate passes bill to protect same-sex and interracial marriage in landmark vote
- Layton man taken into custody for allegedly recording women in restroom
- Demolition begins at the old Utah State Prison in Draper
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]