Mr. Tom Allen – Wasatch Junior High School
Tom Allen, Social Studies teacher at Wasatch Junior High, has the nicest smile. Even the kids think so, as found in their March 2010 Student Newsletter where they claim he has the best facial expressions.
His whole demeanor is one of calmness, down-to-earth, and happy go lucky. Yearly, he has the 7th grade students prepare for a “Cultural Fair”. The students feature “Science Fair” type boards and cover topics they have a passion for including: hobbies, sports, art, flying, varying countries, and different religions. The viewers are given a “smorgasbord” of subjects to learn about and understand.
Mr. Allen also coaches the WJH “Academic Team” which actively competes with brain power. Games begin in January and wind up in the Spring. Narrowly defeated in the District Championship game, 2/24/10, to Brockbank Junior High 112-110, Mr. Allen led his team to upset Brockbank for the Utah State Championship, 3/18/10, 100 to 80. The most recent National Tournament against Randolph Middle School of Charlotte Mecklenber, NC, 4/14/10, went into overtime, then sudden death with Wasatch taking 2nd place. Through it all, Mr. Allen smiles and encourages the students to “just do their best”. He would like to ask them, “to go in there with all they’ve got and win just one for the Gipper”, smiling he claims, “They wouldn’t know who the Gipper was anyway.”
I would like to nominate Mr. Tom Allen of Wasatch Junior High for your KSL Teacher Feature award not only for his dedication and expertise, but truly for the honest and warm smile he so easily shares with all whom cross his path.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- Party ban becomes permanent for Airbnb
- UDOT reminds travelers of heavy traffic over the holiday weekend
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Supreme Court widens state power over tribes. What does it mean for Utah?