Mr. Tom Allen – Wasatch Junior High School
Tom Allen, Social Studies teacher at Wasatch Junior High, has the nicest smile. Even the kids think so, as found in their March 2010 Student Newsletter where they claim he has the best facial expressions.
His whole demeanor is one of calmness, down-to-earth, and happy go lucky. Yearly, he has the 7th grade students prepare for a “Cultural Fair”. The students feature “Science Fair” type boards and cover topics they have a passion for including: hobbies, sports, art, flying, varying countries, and different religions. The viewers are given a “smorgasbord” of subjects to learn about and understand.
Mr. Allen also coaches the WJH “Academic Team” which actively competes with brain power. Games begin in January and wind up in the Spring. Narrowly defeated in the District Championship game, 2/24/10, to Brockbank Junior High 112-110, Mr. Allen led his team to upset Brockbank for the Utah State Championship, 3/18/10, 100 to 80. The most recent National Tournament against Randolph Middle School of Charlotte Mecklenber, NC, 4/14/10, went into overtime, then sudden death with Wasatch taking 2nd place. Through it all, Mr. Allen smiles and encourages the students to “just do their best”. He would like to ask them, “to go in there with all they’ve got and win just one for the Gipper”, smiling he claims, “They wouldn’t know who the Gipper was anyway.”
I would like to nominate Mr. Tom Allen of Wasatch Junior High for your KSL Teacher Feature award not only for his dedication and expertise, but truly for the honest and warm smile he so easily shares with all whom cross his path.
Today’s Top Stories
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Tracking snowplows in SLC
- Snow storm brings highly dangerous avalanche conditions
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Pence says Trump was ‘wrong’ for dinner with Holocaust denier
- Native tribes of Utah are given their chance to offer historical perspectives on museum artifacts
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success