Mrs. Susan Fuller – Upland Terrace Elementary
Several weeks ago my granddaughter Erica got engaged. After family, the first person she showed her ring to was her sixth grade teacher Susan Fuller.
When Erica was in her class, she was also in resource for some extra help, especially math. At the end of the school year Erica received the Presidential Award for most improved 6th grade student. In high school she maintained a 3.5 average.
Erica will be a junior at the University of Utah next fall. The example of Mrs. Susan Fuller has been the reason for her majoring in elementary education. Whenever she needs to have a mentor or observe a classroom it is Mrs. Fuller she chooses to observe.
As a volunteer for fourteen years at Upland Terrace, I have observed Susan Fuller. One of her greatest attributes is she prepares students to move out of the self contained classroom to junior high school. Her Shakespeare Festival is commendable and I am especially impressed with her “University of Learning” program. Students at the beginning of the year decide on the degree they want to work toward – Bachelors to Doctorate. At the end of school they are awarded their degree according to the completion of the degree they chose. She teaches study skills and creates a love of learning as well as a safe environment that brings out the best in her students.
On every occasion when she talks to me she asks about my grandchildren. Many teachers don’t even remember students once they leave their classroom.
I thought teaching high school for 36 years was hard. No one works harder than the elementary teacher – especially Susan Fuller.
Thank you for considering her nomination.
Ilene S. Gorzitze
Today’s Top Stories
- Researchers believe ‘omicron’ variant will be in Utah, sooner or later
- Skier dies after crashing into snowbank at Brighton
- Newly discovered COVID variant is ‘red flag’ but US needs to learn more, Fauci says
- Here’s why your ticket price out of SLC seems so high right now
- Analysts expect supply chain problems to boost sales at brick and mortar stores
- Stocks sink on new COVID variant; Dow loses 905 points
- Woman killed after getting into what she thought was an Uber
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Renders released for Provo and Smithfield temples
- Attempted robbery at West Valley hair salon leaves one injured, shooter still at large