Roger Snow – Ogden High School
I proudly nominate Ogden High School teacher Roger Snow for a KSL/Zion’s Bank Teacher Feature Award. Mr. Snow teaches basic drafting, computer aided drafting, principles of engineering, civil engineering and architecture, and aerospace engineering.
Since his first day of kindergarten, our youngest son Craig has never cared much for school. That attitude didn’t really much change until his sophomore year at Ogden High when he managed to get into Mr. Snow’s principles of engineering class. There he found a teacher who treated his students as adults, expected students to do their work, and expected their work to be of high quality.
Craig had earned his share of A’s over the years, but never worked so hard for a B in his life, or been as proud of it. He spent his summer taking Algebra II online so he would be qualified to take Mr. Snow’s aerospace engineering class this fall. In addition to Mr. Snow’s aerospace class, Craig also signed up for pre-calculus and Advanced Placement physics – not bad for a kid who much prefers to see himself as captain of the hockey team rather than scholar.
During Craig’s sophomore year, Mr. Snow’s engineering class built an alternative-fuel car and raced it against teams from other Utah high schools, Southern Utah University and Brigham Young University. As the smallest and lightest kid in the class, Craig was chosen to drive Ogden High’s car. He loved it as he blew past the Cougar car on his way to the finish line.
Through word of mouth, Mr. Snow’s class has become a magnet for some of the best and brightest kids at Ogden High. “He has the respect of everybody,” Craig said. “It’s like being at work and not at school.”
Please consider Roger Snow for a Teacher Feature Award.
-Rita and Mark Peterson
Today’s Top Stories
- Child found minutes after AMBER Alert issued, suspect still outstanding
- Here’s why some stop signs will be removed in Cottonwood Heights
- Men without college degrees leaving the workforce, according to new study
- West Jordan Elementary School is closing its gates after 40 years
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- S.L. County D.A. declines to charge two officers in shooting, arrest
- Man arrested for alleged theft of large amount of diesel fuel
- Two-vehicle crash on westbound I-80 creates heavy delays
- Families of Hunter High shooting victims unhappy with plea deal
- How to to keep your poinsettias healthy this winter season