Thelissa Powell, Bastian Elementary
“I would like to nominate Mrs. Thelissa Powell for the KSL Teacher Feature Giveaway. Mrs. Powell is a kindergarten teacher at Bastian Elementary School in Herriman, Utah. For the past two years, I have had the privilege of having Mrs. Powell as my children’s teacher. We are ever so grateful for the impact she has made in our children’s lives and many others that we would like to see her celebrated.
The word kindergarten can be thought of as a compound word using the two words, “kinder” and “garden.” Mrs. Powell emulates these words in her classroom. In a world that seems divisive, Mrs. Powell unites her students through the power of kindness. She is kind to all and creates a kinder classroom in the character traits she teaches. Mrs. Powell helps her students treat each other kindly, share, and help one another. With her magnetic smile, Mrs. Powell makes certain her students know that they are loved. Through this tender love, her students find school safe and exciting.
As she teaches, Mrs. Powell calls her students, “my friends.” She helps them build friendships and unite as a classroom. The students buoy and lift each other in positive ways to help each other excel because of the example of kindness she has set.
In the garden of Mrs. Powell’s classroom, she nurtures and cares for her students individually. I love the way she creates magic in learning. Mrs. Powell creates authentic learning opportunities through hands-on experiences and fun. She can be caught helping students investigate trees, flowers, shapes, numbers, water, and so much more. My son loves it when she wears her googly-eye glasses to help the class investigate or catch good behavior.
It is magical to watch Mrs. Powell tend to the garden of learners in her classroom. She adapts and modifies learning experiences to fit the needs of her students. I am impressed with the way Mrs. Powell identifies the strengths of her students and uses their talents to improve other areas of learning. She encourages each to meet their potential. As these students begin their learning journey, Mrs. Powell empowers them with a passion for learning. In the garden of her kindergarten, she finds a way to help each flower blossom. She is truly amazing!
I hope you will consider picking Mrs. Powell for the KSL Teacher Feature Giveaway.’
Submitted by: Becky Yates
Submit your teaching hero! Click here to submit your teacher
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Man wanted for leaving a dead fish at ‘The Goonies’ house saved by Coast Guard…
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…