Tom Little – Lakeview Elementary School
I would like to nominate a superb teacher that not only teaches from his heart because, “that’s what (he) loves to do”, but changes his students lives as he gives from his heart…In particular to one student, our then 8 year old daughter. As she entered his 3rd grade class last year (2010-2011 school year), she felt she was struggling and we felt she needed more than the love of her parents to boost her through the year.
Our daughter had experienced a more difficult year in 2nd grade as learning a certain subject was not second nature to her, creating uneasiness for the next grade. Also, the school district boundries were going to be divided. She along with a few of her classmates were going to be moved to a new school within the district. A new environment and struggling with understanding new concepts were on the forefront of her mind as she was to begin her 3rd grade year. We were blessed by Mr. Tom Little, a positive direction for a little girl and an answer to her parents prayers!
Not only students were affected by the district change, teachers were also. Mr. Little happened to be one of those teachers that was moved. So not only having to adjust to his change of environment, he also felt the weight of helping his students all fit together comfortably, in which he did effortlessly! As for our daughter, the ease of fitting into a new environment and erasing all doubt from her self-esteem was hands-down attributed to this talented teacher. Mr. Little uniquely infuses his love of music into his teaching to create a remarkable environment for learning with his students. Our daughter would wake up each school day eager to go to school and learn. Even on testing days, she showed eagerness to succeed. As for the those that chose to rebel, they continued to have a great respect for this teacher.
For something that seems so ordinary to a teacher, or yet even to the reader here, it will never be marked so by a set of parents who saw the life of their daughter change. All thanks to the concern and care of a humble teacher. To this day, our daughter never passes up the chance to give her “best teacher in the whole world” a hug, even though he’d rather a big high five! This would be the greatest way to thank him for all he has given and all he’s done for us. To the teacher that definitely does not want to be recognized as outstanding…..here’s to YOU, Mr. Tom Little.
“I’m glad you were my teacher. You were just fun and friendly and a happy person. You are fun to be with. You are just a fun teacher! You helped me to learn better. Thank you Mr. Little.”
— Chylee Bowen
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 1,500 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Winter blues: light therapy and lifestyle changes can help
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- SLCPD makes arrest connected to fatal stabbing case
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…