Trina McGowan, Indian Hills Middle School
“I had Trina McGowan as a teacher from 1997-2000 during my junior high years at Indian Hills Middle. From her, I developed a love of education and writing, putting me on a path to become an educator. In high school and college, I kept in touch with her and could tell she was continuing to inspire her students, engage them in rigorous instruction, and provide leadership to other teachers in her school building.
Now that I have been a school principal, I recognize more in hindsight the remarkable teacher Trina was, and her impact not only on the thousands of students she has taught over the decades, but on Utah’s public education system overall. Specifically, Trina makes connections to students, making content relevant in their lives. She models and inspires a love of reading. She focuses instruction on anchor skills that help students succeed in high school and beyond.
From Trina, I developed a love and skillset in writing that helped me thrive in high school courses and through my recent Doctoral program. Students that have her are fortunate to have her because of the life skills they gain and a love of learning that will last them the rest of their lives.
Thank you for considering Trina for this recognition.”
Submitted by: Aaron Wilson
Submit your teaching hero! Click here to submit your teacher
Today’s Top Stories
- Two people are in critical condition following two-vehicle car crash
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- Expert gives tips on conquering your downward social-media scroll
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary