SLC considers allowing “mother-in-law” apartments city-wide
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Council may soon decide whether or not to allow so-called “mother-in-law” apartments across the city.
The city is taking feedback on their website and may decide in a few weeks whether to allow accessory dwelling units, or ADUs, city-wide. Right now, the commonly called “mother-in-law apartments” are only allowed within a half-mile of FrontRunner, TRAX, or S-Line stops.
According to the city’s website, the proposal under consideration would:
- Allow ADUs citywide, rather than based on a boundary area or proximity to a fixed transit stop
- Make ADUs a conditional use in the FR (Foothill Residential District) and R-1 (Single Family Residential) zoning districts. These are the zoning districts that only allow detached single family dwellings.
- Allow ADUs a permitted use in all other residential zoning districts that already allow duplexes, triplexes, and multi-family as permitted uses. (SR-1, SR-3, R-2 RMF-30 RMF-35, RMF-45, RMF-75, RB R-MU-35, R-MU-45, R-MU, and RO)
- Eliminate the permit limit of 25 ADUs per year in the City
- Clarify the definition of “owner occupied”
- Require properties with ADUs to have a deed restriction stating that an owner must occupy the property.
- Provide different design standards for Attached and Detached ADUs.
- Amend the wording of some standards for clarity.
The city says the change could help create more housing units, support affordable housing options, and make more efficient use of housing stock.
There are mixed reviews on the city’s website where the public can give feedback.
Public hearings are set for October 2 and 16.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- The DWR to update management of black bears
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Christian Pulisic is day-to-day after being taken to hospital with pelvic contusion suffered…
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]